- CO1 Define the legal environment that is applicable to the business world.
- CO2 Review basic business law concepts
- CO3 Describe the litigation system in the United States CO4 Apply legal concepts to business to business scenarios
- CO5 Analyze the differences between major forms of intellectual property protection, and current ethical issues that arise under intellectual property law
- CO6 Identify antitrust issues in business decisions
- CO7 Analyze what a contract is, how a contract is formed, the types of law that govern contracts, the elements of common-law contract formation, and defenses to contracts
- CO8 Identify various forms of business structure
- CO9 Evaluate employment laws affecting business
- CO10 Define ethical environment that is applicable to the business world.
- CO11 Identify means to avoid alter ego liability
- CO12 Evaluate how the Sarbanes Oxley Act applies to business.
PREPARE A PPT Project: USE YOUR PREPARATION FROM ASSIGNMENT 5.
Reflecting on the concepts in the course, select and research one (1) of the company situations listed below and prepare a PowerPoint Project of the legal and ethical issues contained in the case study. A reference citation for each company is provided to introduce the case study. You may use this citation in your project. It is expected you will use the course Lessons and eReserve required readings plus your own independent research of credible sources in support of this project. Your research must include peer-reviewed and scholarly sources. You may use internet sources for factual information about your company, but these should be the minority of of your research.
Your Project should include the following, organized in well-designed slides with accompanying Speaker’s Notes or Audio and/or video narrative. Further instructions for required content are also below:
CONTENT FOR YOUR PPT ASSIGNMENT:
1. Introduce the company (e.g. name, type of business, its corporate structure);
2. Define and explain the core ethical dilemma confronting the company, with pertinent facts;
*this includes why it is an ethical issue;
*clearly define the dilemma; be clear as to the company’s situation and its ethical choices – the action the company chose to do and at least one other, different, choice it could have elected instead;
3. Identify, define and explain an ethical framework that supports, or is illustrated by, the choice/action the company made. In explaining the framework, include an example of how it works in making a decision.
4. Identify, define and explain a different ethical framework that the company leadership could have utilized in the situation to lead to a different result for the company. Explain specifically how the company effectively could have employed this framework. Also, in explaining the framework include an example of how it works in making a decision.
5. Include in your project a discussion of at least one legal issue the company faced or could have faced as a result of its decision. Examples from your studies in the course are: contract disputes; tort claim – wrongful death; tort claim – product liability; violation of a civil or criminal statute or regulation (which you must identify specifically); civil rights; employment issue.
6. Recommend: Lessons learned. What is a take-away from this case study for management of business operations? Recommend and explain at least one business practice for any business. In determining your recommendation consider the concepts we have studied this term, e.g. contracts, tort liability, corporate structure and policy, corporate social responsibility, Sarbanes-Oxley, employment laws, litigation, etc. A good business practice recommendation can relate to any one or combination of these elements of the legal business environment. The company you have studied for this Assignment engaged in practices on an ethical basis that ultimately touched or affected all aspects of its management. Your recommendation must be a specific practice for any business to apply. It is not sufficient to just say something like “do it differently,” or “be ethical.”
7. References: Your references must be cited fully in APA7 format, except on your PPT slide it is not necessary to use a hanging indent or double space the list. As shown on the Grading Rubric Exemplary Level, more than 7 sources are necessary. At least 7 sources are required for the Accomplished level of the rubric. Please see the rubric’s requirement for including scholarly and peer-reviewed sources.
8. Review the Grading Rubric for an understanding of how your work will be evaluated.
COMPANIES – SELECT ONE (1) OF THESE CASE STUDIES FOR YOUR PROJECT
- Ford Motor Company
- The Pinto memo: “It’s cheaper to let them burn!” (2008, October 17). The Spokesman-Review. Retrieved from http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/autos/2008/oct/17/pinto-memo-its-cheaper-let-them-burn/
- Italiano, L. (2019, May 19). Boeing acknowledges flaw in 737 MAX flight simulators. New York Post.
- Purdue Pharmaceutical
- Alonso, J. (2021, February 23). Purdue Pharma deceptive research misconduct. Voices in Bioethics, 7, np. https://doi.org/10.7916/vib.v7i.7786
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PPT:
- Title slide followed by agenda slide that outlines the project.
- Ends with References slide, listing seven (7)-plus credible sources (including peer-reviewed and scholarly sources) from Lessons, Course Readings, and your own research in Library, in APA 7th formatted citations. (Note, you may need more than 1 slide for all fully cited references.)
- In addition to the above 3 types of slides, minimum 11 content slides at Exemplary level of Grading Rubric.
- Slides should be presented with professional background, appropriate graphics, and content points
- Content points should be included on slides, not just “titles.”
- Speaker’s notes are required for narrative accompanying beneath all slides except title slide and references slides. In the alternative audio narration or a video can accompany the slide presenting the narration portion of the project.
- See Grading Rubric.
Submit this project as a Microsoft PPT document attachment no later than 11:59 pm ET Sunday of Week 8.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."